Freightliner Upgrades Industry-Favorite Models in New Plus Series - Major update to the M2 106, M2 112, 108SD and 114SD
PORTLAND, OR… Freightliner recently introduced the new Plus series - enhanced versions of its M2 and SD models, including the M2 106 Plus, M2 112 Plus, 108SD Plus, and 114SD Plus.
The enhanced models provide a major update to the interior and electrical systems of the popular M2 and SD models, which represent the leading medium-duty and one of the best-selling vocational trucks in North America. Collectively, the Plus series is designed to take Freightliner’s medium-duty and vocational lineup to the next level with improved driver comfort and increased productivity potential.
“We listened to fleet owners and drivers, and redesigned one of the most widely-trusted medium-duty trucks on the market to make it even better,” said David Carson, senior vice president, sales and marketing, Daimler Truck North America (DTNA). “The Plus series provides Freightliner customers the same reliable workhorses they have counted on to add dollars to their bottom line for years, now packed with additional features to further benefit their operators and increase productivity even more.”
Equipped with the maneuverability, visibility, and other total cost of ownership advantages Freightliner customers expect, the Plus series trucks now feature an all-new interior designed for a more comfortable, safer driving experience with improved ergonomics and increased storage.
* Enhancements include:
* All-new trim levels designed for customer preference and applications; improved insulation that muffles exterior noise and provides greater thermal efficiency.
* Driver-centric dash with an easy-to-read driver information center.
* A fully customizable switch layout.
* Comfortable steering wheel with integrated controls.
* An easy-to-use transmission control stalk that allows automated manual and automatic shifting and engine braking functions from the column for safer operation.
* Configurable dash panel featuring 2.5X more space for truck equipment manufacturers to utilize.
* Ergonomic seats with precise adjustability for improved driver comfort and reduced fatigue.
Premiere of Detroit Assurance Safety Systems & Connectivity
For the first time, the most comprehensive and innovative suite of safety and connectivity systems are now available across Freightliner’s entire vocational and medium-duty truck lineup.
Customers selecting the combination of Detroit engine and DT12 transmission today have access to Detroit’s best-in-class safety systems.
With its new electrical architecture, Plus series trucks give customers access to the industry-leading Detroit Assurance with ABA5 suite of safety systems. In addition to being available with all Detroit engine models, customers will for the first time be able to order certain Detroit Assurance features when spec’ing a Cummins engine. Now, fleets will have access to best in active safety regardless of powertrain option selected.
Standard selected safety features including Active Brake Assist, Lane Departure Warning, and optional Side Guard Assist allow for increased safety on the road or jobsite. Additional features like Adaptive Cruise Control, which automatically adjusts cruising speed to maintain a safe following distance, will become available with Plus series start of production in Q3 2023.
Outfitted with the Detroit Connect Suite of Connectivity Systems, Plus series fleets will receive key information about vehicle performance that empowers better decision-making and reduces downtime. For example:
* Within minutes of a fault event, Virtual Technician remote diagnostic service informs fleets of the severity of the fault, and when, where and how to best fix the issue.
* Remote Updates uses secure, over-the-air programming capabilities to make engine parameter and other updates.
* Detroit Connect Analytics provide users with on-demand, automated analysis, identifying behaviors and trends, and providing actionable insights on fuel consumption and safety performance data.
* Safety Event Viewer enables visibility into driver safety performance, notifying fleets of collision mitigation events. It will show the time, date and location of an event, plus the vehicle speed at the time of the event and duration of the event. This record keeping allows Detroit Connect users to monitor and track all critical events and take action to increase the safety of trucks on the road and job site (standard with Detroit Assurance with Active Brake Assist 5).
Industry-Leading Powertrain & Transmission
The Plus series features the industry’s most advanced powertrain that delivers the right kind of power, performance and durability to get the job done.
The 114SD Plus features the latest in Detroit’s heavy-duty engine lineup, the DD13 Gen 5, which offers cutting-edge diesel technology and exceptional reliability. It also offers new vocational power ratings as well as enhanced performance, uptime and reliability. Its rapid torque feature gets payloads moving quickly. Additionally, ThermoCoasting in the DD13 Gen 5 prevents aftertreatment cool down during a driving regen to keep the system at its optimum temperature and significantly reduces the need for parked regens.
Built for vocational performance, durability and low-speed maneuverability, the Detroit DT12-V transmission is ready for any challenge on the work site. It has Off-Road Mode that features aggressive shifting for sustained momentum and ultimate performance on any terrain; Hill Start Aid to guard against rolling back on steep grades; and Rock-Free Mode to reduce downtime caused by wheel-stuck situations. Paver Mode allows a dump truck to shift from neutral to drive without pressing the brake pedal, ensuring a steady flow to the paving machine.
Depending on truck model, the Plus series lineup will also feature the Cummins B6.7, L9 and X12 diesel engine options as well as L9N and ISX12N natural gas-powered engines. Eaton manual and automated manual transmissions, and Allison automatic transmissions are also available in Plus series trucks.
The Plus series was engineered to lead the industry in upfit efficiency with the introduction of the QuickFit Electrical System.
QuickFit features a new multiplexed architecture that makes integrating truck equipment to the vehicle easier than ever. QuickFit delivers easier access to critical connection points, more power sources, programmable switches, customizable parameters, and interlock features, making upfits more flexible, more reliable, and more durable — all in less time.
The Daimler Truck North America CHEC Tool provides a user-friendly interface to view and modify electrical configurations and change parameters in minutes, keeping customization fast, seamless and efficient. With the power of QuickFit and CHEC Tool, tasks that were once considered too complex, expensive or impossible can be accomplished more easily and efficiently.
With the introduction of the Plus series trucks, key electrical components were also relocated to provide improved isolation from external variables and road debris that can cause downtime.
Production of the Plus series will begin Q3 2023 at the DTNA Mount Holly (N.C.) and Santiago Tianguistenco (Mexico) Truck Manufacturing Plants.
For more information, go to www.Freightliner.com.